The oldest edifice in Lozère
The small roman style chapel, built in black Cévennes granite, comprised a nave and apse ; its slated roof was topped by a small steeple with a bell. It was already used for Protestant worship in the 16th century.
At the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, the temple was returned to the Catholics. The steeple was dismantled. The chapel was burnt down by the Camisards during a retaliation raid. The walls and vault remained standing.
In 1796, the church was sold as national property. After the Concordat was signed, it was attributed to Protestant worship. It is the oldest building in the Lozère region.
- DUBIEF Henri et POUJOL Jacques, La France protestante, Histoire et Lieux de mémoire, Max Chaleil éditeur, Montpellier, 1992, rééd. 2006, p. 450
- LAURENT René, Promenade à travers les temples de France, Les Presses du Languedoc, Millau, 1996, p. 520
- REYMOND Bernard, L’architecture religieuse des protestants, Labor et Fides, Genève, 1996
- The Edict of Nantes (1598)
- The war of the Camisards (1702-1710)
- Protestant temples : from the 16th century to the Revocation
- The architecture of 17th century churches
- Sainte-Croix-de-Caderle (Gard)