Saint-Hippolyte-du-Fort House (Dugas Foundation)

A XVIIth century protestant dwelling which became a protestant foundation

On the main square called “Le Plan” stands the Dugas Foundaton, which houses the Roure-Sarran library ; this is the local lending library in Saint-Hippolyte-du-Fort.

The Renaissance house, dating back to 1470, was a Royal military post of where dragoons were stationed during the religious persecution. At the time of the Revolution it belonged to the nation and then it was sold by auction after having been partially burnt down when 13 candles caught fire.

Its owner, Emile Dugas, gave the house to the Société de l’histoire de protestantisme français in 1945. You can see that a protestant family inhabited this beautiful house during the XVIIth century by the carvings on the massive fireplaces inspired by themes from the Bible.

Saint-Hippolyte-du-Fort House (Dugas Foundation)
36 cours Gambetta
30170 Saint-Hippolyte-du-Fort
Tel : +33 (0)4 66 77 67 32

Saint-Hippolyte-du-Fort House (Dugas Foundation)

36 Cours Gambetta, 30170 Saint-Hippolyte-du-Fort

Itinerary to this location

Author: Saint-Hippolyte-du-Fort House (Dugas Foundation)

Associated notes

Random notes