The Rotunda Temple (Temple de la Rotonde)
At the end of the 18th century, around 1790, a club was founded in Arles comprising aristocrats, craftsmen and members of the Tiers-Etat, opposed to the “Waux Hall” aristocratic club. They had the Rotonda built which consisted of a large circular room, special games rooms and a monumental staircase.
At the Revolution, the Rotonda was used for storing weapons, then as a private theatre and a ball-room. In 1852, thanks to Madame de Seynes, a Protestant and owner of the Mas Thibert (an old property which had belonged to the Order of St John of Jerusalem), it housed two Protestant schools – one for girls and one for boys – then in 1859 it became the property of the Protestant community. It became a place of worship and is still used as such today.
- LAURENT René, Promenade à travers les temples de France, Les Presses du Languedoc, Millau, 1996, p. 520