The Convention Nationale (1792-1795), having decreed that royal dwellings, immigrants property, religious estates, castles, convents, churches, convents and abbeys were henceforth national property, they all became State property. A great number of buildings were then unused and abandoned.
The Concordat encouraged them to be used again
The Concordat and the 1801 organic laws restored freedom of worship.
The political power of the Consulat (1798-1804) and of the Empire (1804-1815) promoted the use of former Catholic churches, abbeys and convents by the Protestants.
There were so many cases that they cannot be listed individually, but a few noteworthy buildings, still used as Temples today, have been selected.
Civil buildings tuned into Temples
During the 19th century some civil buildings found a new role and became Protestant Temples.
- The architecture of 17th century churches
- Protestant temples : from the 16th century to the Revocation